1. i once made complete ass of myself in front of a celebrity. my friend and i followed him to a midnight food stand and the cab driver, tired of us pussy footing around, got out of his cab, did the slow walk with his bike chains clanging-like a cowboy, walked up to the celebrity and said, ‘the only reason we are here is you.’ we cowarded from embarrassment and he and his entire gang of friends slow waved us goodbye as the cab pulled away.
2. at the rehearsal dinner of my first marriage (i only got married so i can say ‘well, my FIRST husband, like some 40s movie star) people spent the entire time watching the O.J. highway car chase. a divorce and several moves later, i was in LA working a gig for Cadillac Escalade at a golf outing. O.J. walked over to look at the car i was modeling. full circle.
3. once in NYC, i decided to spend the day outside Letterman’s theater to see a show. i was 3rd in line. a friend brought me coffee while i sat. got my audience number and later got in that night. worth it when steve martin did a surprise visit.
4. second time i did that i decided to spend the night in line for whoose line is it anyway. i was solo and got in since they needed a seat behind drew carey filled. during the show, he turned around and asked me to do an improv game.
5. for 3 and 4 i went solo because the relationships i was in at the times were failing. both people were supposed to be with me for each show. i said fuck it and went anyway and was rewarded for moving on. ergo, the universe is good to you if you just keep swimming.