(a pic of the older campers before their hip hop routine)
Rafael did so well. Thankfully, because there were two moments that absolutely broke. my. heart.
1. the lead for the younger kids, who was a gorgeous young girl, was a wonderful Peter Pan and was smiling and doing her lines perfectly until the last bit. She forgot a line. Tinker Bell tried to help but it was too far gone. Peter Pan had a total melt down.
She began to cry, threw off her paper hat and tried to run to safety. However, she was surrounded by audience and had to retreat into a corner saying, “I am awful at everything!!!” and cried even more.
A man from the audience shouted, ‘We think you are great!’ but she was inconsolable. She ran from the room and was quickly replaced by a camp counselor. I fought tears. Watching such a vulnerable meltdown was wrenching. Her mom didn’t move from her seat. I would have knocked people down to hug her. This is going to bother me for a long time.
2. During Rafael’s hip hop routine, a girl cried and then wet the floor. She ran from the room leaving the girl next to her to dance in her pee. The woman next to me said her grandson informed her that girl cried every day, all week.
The camp director handled both moments with grace, even sending out a senior camper to sing a beautiful rendition of Etta James “At Last” while the pee was mopped up.
41 Notes/ Hide
- pearlstopampers likes this
- rinaogaz reblogged this from thesahmmy
- electradaddy said: That’s so sad about the little girl playing Peter Pan. Very heart breaking.
- rebirthofnewlife likes this
- areallifegrownupmom said: Just had flashbacks of messing up my first choir solo… Such a horrible feeling for a kid. I want to hug those girls!
- areallifegrownupmom likes this
- oursarah likes this
- shobhitsaxena9999 likes this
- alexieileen said: Oh, man. I hate that for them! Maybe they’ll gain from it instead of letting it affect future performing. Ugh! :(((
- hazelleyez likes this
- anothermommy likes this
- eatdrinkbemommie likes this
- togetbackhomeward said: Oh that poor poor girl. I am so sad for her.
- togetbackhomeward likes this
- not-the-mom likes this
- ekrepcho likes this
- izzieandthebeast likes this
- the--kel--smith likes this
- judeabouttown likes this
- mywildloves likes this
- mammalingo likes this
- midwestern-momma said: This made me so sad. So, so, so sad. :(
- redsoul503 likes this
- magmom likes this
- donkeysalright likes this
- unfortunatelymegan likes this
- lostwithoutthem likes this
- juneofthemoon likes this
- thesassyprince likes this
- ipromisetowrite said: :( Poor littles! So sad.
- momlyfe said: some of the saddest moments i remember from my childhood were recital fuckups.
- kimber-leigh likes this
- jimnasium likes this
- rockabillymomma likes this
- sarkastickunt likes this
- momlyfe likes this
- mamato2boysand1girl likes this
- mamamusement said: Oh holy Moses, that mom that didn’t move…yikes, now MY heart hurts.
- bujnik said: Ugh that is gut wrenching even to read.
- thesahmmy posted this